In the US state of Illinois, accusations of sexual harassment against the already convicted singer R. Kelly were dropped. Prosecutor Kim Fox told U.S. media on Monday that justice had been served on two previous federal convictions, and ten local charges had been dropped against the singer.
R. Kelly, one of the most notorious Americans convicted since the rise of MeToo, is currently serving a 30-year sentence after being convicted in New York last year in a rape case. Last fall, a jury in Chicago also ruled that he was guilty of sex offenses there, and a judge will rule on the federal case in late February. Kelly, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, faces an additional 10 to 90 years in prison in this case.
"Maybe a disappointment"
The local Chicago case, now closed, began in 2019 with a call from Foxx. She asked the victims to respond. Four women told their story, three of whom were minors at the time of the alleged crime. Los Angeles Times. Fox acknowledges that the decision to drop cases now could be "frustrating" for these victims. The decision was made, however, due to the "long time" that Kelly already has to serve in any case, and the "limited resources and time" of the prosecutor's office.
At a press conference on Monday, Fox thanked the victims who turned up, praising their "courage and pursuit of justice, no matter how long it takes." She said their testimony also helped to some extent in the federal case against Kelly in Chicago. The singer is also from this city.
Listen to our weekly Amsterdam Metropolis podcast: